Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My first Facebook spam

Tricksters are getting trickier. Right on my birthday, i got my first Facebook spam message from Barrister Jamal Bob. Through experience, they must've learnt that victims are most likely to respond on a birthday.

So Barrister Jamal Bob is a personal attorney to Late Mr. Johan. C. Lagad, who died in a motor accident with his wife and his only daughter and left US$6.5 million dollars with a bank in Africa... for who else but me! Lucky me!!

Its a variation of the Nigerian 419 scam - called as the Inheritance scam. And wikipedia tell us that in 2008 an American woman lost $400,000 to this type of scam, after an e-mail told her she had inherited money from her long-lost grandfather. She actually had a grandfather whom her family had lost touch with, and whose initials matched those given in the e-mail. My dear friend Barrister Jamal Bob was slightly off target.

Here is the original Facebook message:

Dear Tejas Lagad,

I am Barrister Jamal Bob, personal attorney to Late Mr. Johan. C. Lagad, a national of your country,
Who died in a motor accident with his wife and his only daughter along Kpalime express Road and left some huge amount of money with a bank here in Lome Togo West Africa, valued at US$6.5 million dollars. I have contacted you to assist me.
I will email to you further details as you show full interest.

REPLY TO MY PRIVATE EMAIL FOR FURTHER DETAILS. jamalbob001@yahoo.com

MAY GOD BLESS YOU HE WILL GIVE U SUCCESS.
Mr. Jamal Bob.

No comments: